Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Gone Girl is Not Misogyny; It is Simply a Wonderful Book and Film

I love to think deeply, which is why I majored in English in college. I can discuss anything from Shakespeare, Chaucer, Blake, Hawthorne, the Bible, and I am quite entertained.

Then there are those contemporary works, which aren't really that thought provoking, which are very entertainment purposes, and Gone Girl fits in this category.

I actually went to see the film before I read the book, and my opinion about it hasn't changed. I love it, and I am actually currently reading the author two works by the author.

So imagine my shock and surprise when I see an article on the internet labeling the author a misogynist. Don't you at least have to be a man to be a misogynist? Don't you at least have to hate women?

Without giving too much of the plot away, the female protagonist is a sociopath. She is motivated by her husband's affair with a much younger woman, to turn his life upside down.

Let's be real for a moment here. There are some mean, bitter women out there. There are some women who are vindictive, sociopaths even.

This does not take away from the fact that women are domestically abused every day, nor does it take away from the rape culture, as both are prevailing problems in our society.

What I love about this author, this book, this film, is that it is outside of the box. The female protagonist, is not some weak victim, waiting for some man to save her. She takes action to get what she wants. Now her methods are sociopathic and vindictive, but she does what she wants, on her own terms.

So feminists, I need you to pipe down on this one. Gillian Flynn is one of you. She is simply a nice wife, mother, who has a great imagination, and for that she should be applauded, not ridiculed.

After all, isn't the central tenet of feminism about uplifting and supporting each other as women?

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment