Monday, October 13, 2014

black-ish Is Not The Cosby Show and I Am Glad

Since 1992, when the last Cosby Show episode aired, network television executives, black people, even Bill Cosby and anyone who was a cult follower of this iconic show have tried to get the magic that was once the Cosby Show, back!

Many have tried and failed, and let's be honest it is difficult to even mimic or follow that iconic recipe for a good family sitcom.Even some 22 years after the airing of the last episode, The Cosby Show still makes us laugh, and revert to childhood memories.

Many black intellectuals (you know that group who gets on my damn nerves) have often lamented about finding a Cosbyish show to fill the void, or that there aren't enough positive images of black people on television (rolls eyes and stomps feet because they have beaten this particular horse to death), so imagine my surprise when I heard about black-ish, a new comedy starring the wonderful comedic talent, Anthony Anderson, the immensely talented Laurence Fishburne, and the amazing Tracey Ellis Ross.

After the first episode, the pilot, I was not impressed. I felt they were doing too much, trying to cover too much territory, and I was not interested in a show trying to define or make the black culture all-inclusive. In fact, I had already told my sister to take it off the dvr rotation.

Thankfully, she did not listen to me, and after viewing episodes 2 and 3, I can honestly saw that the show has found its stride. You will love the children the most of all. All of them are newcomers to the entertainment field, but they shine, especially the two youngest, who are fraternal twins.

The basic premise of the show is that you have two upper class African-American parents, living in an affluent area of Los Angeles, trying to make their children more aware of their African-American heritage, or it seems to be of prime concern for the father (Anthony Anderson). Mom seems just fine with the children, but let me tell you, hilarity ensues.

So no black-ish is not the Cosbys, and to be honest, I am glad that it is not. The Cosby Show had its day. I will always respect the great work that Bill Cosby and the talented cast did, and will still watch episodes when I am afforded the opportunity.

But give black-ish a chance. I think that you will enjoy it!


Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment