Saturday, January 18, 2014

American Dream or Nightmare?

As I am sitting in my house, which is 59 degrees right now due to a nonworking heating system, which I just replaced in December 2011, I am thinking about the brainwashing that we receive as children to believe that home ownership is the American dream. The question is whose dream?

After being a homeowner for 11 years, it is only a nightmare for me. What they don't tell you in that "dream" speech, is that stuff will break or need repair, and it will be costly, and you will have to use money that you had planned to do "fun" stuff with to have modern comforts in your home (like heat)...ughhhh

The truth is it doesn't matter whether your home is brand new or slightly older, you will eventually have to replace something.

Why do we do it? Why do we work our fingers to the bone, all to replace things that we can't take with us when we die? As my wise grandmother used to say, "You have never seen a U-Haul behind a hearse. All these things we work so hard to replace, will one day be left for our vulture relatives to argue and fight over.

Okay, end of my rant and this blog...stay warm folks!

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment