Saturday, March 29, 2014

Tyler Perry Is Not For Everyone, and I Don't Think He Cares, and I Am Okay With That!

I just returned from viewing, The Single Mom's Club, and like most of Tyler's films, I left inspired, emotionally moved. Good art speaks to the soul, makes you feel differently about the human condition, and should be something that you can relate to in some way. This movie did all of those things for me, especially as someone who was reared in a single parent home.

Just the mere mention of Tyler's name and his work causes most people to feel some type of way.

There are his supporters, that regardless of what he makes or produces for public consumption, who will support, and I am among that group.

There are the fellow filmmakers who are possibly jealous of his success, and who have been in the film industry far longer, but can't seem to capitalize on his success (i.e. John Singleton and Spike Lee, and yes, I am naming names).

There are the college educated black people, who have deemed themselves the "gods" of all that is sacred among African Americans, who try to tell the rest of us what we should or should not support.

There are the men who are bothered by the fact that Mr. Perry sometimes wears a dress (like Mr. Perry wearing a dress is a threat to your personal manhood (I am still scratching my head over that foolishness).

There are the feminists. You know who they are. The small segment of the female population who, unless every female character is a successful CEO, married to the most handsome rich man who treats her like a queen, shaped like Coca-Cola bottle,  and is the epitome of class and grace, then you are a hater of women. When the truth is, these "feminists" hate men, so Mr. Perry doesn't stand a chance.

Yes, I am a supporter. I don't apologize for it. I support for three reasons, and I will elaborate here.

For one, noone gave Mr. Perry anything! He had a dream, was homeless as a result of trying to pursue this dream, but never gave up despite bleak circumstances. This is the formula for being successful in our society, never giving up!

He refuses to change. Critics can wag their tongues all they want, but Mr. Perry is remaining true to himself. He tells the kinds of stories that are important to him, and that are true to his artistry and personal values. You have to respect that!

Finally, he keeps people employed. I hadn't seen Phylicia Rashad on my television or movie screen in years before she did two films with Tyler. I even recently saw Lisa Whelchel (Blair from Facts of Life). Not only does he revive the careers of established actors, but he gives opportunities to newcomers who otherwise would not get the opportunity.

So like  him or hate him, I don't think he cares, and I am okay with that!

Until next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment