Sunday, February 2, 2014

Letter to Dylan Farrow

Dear Dylan,
I don't know you personally, but let me say that I think you are a classy, brave, and strong young woman. Your open letter was not only heart wrenching and poignant, but you gave a voice to some many voiceless victims.

I was the same age as you, when my abuser decided to take indecent liberties with me. Like you, the abuser was someone known to me, so of course, nothing was done, and I had to deal with the shame, and blame for my role in allowing him to do it to others.

This is an incredible cross to bear at seven years old, one that no child should have to bear. The years of pain and anguish at the hands of an abuser can be insufferable, but I am glad that you survived and are lending your voice to help others.

Please know that millions stand with you. Do not worry about the social media responses. They are just faceless bullies behind the anonymity of a computer screen. Do not worry about your adoptive father's fame and hero worship, because most of us think that he is a disgusting pig, and will never watch anything that he directs or produces again.

Stand in your truth, and don't allow anyone to silence your voice. I and millions of others like me stand beside you, support you, and pray for your healing and restoration.

All the best to you,

Corey Bu-Shea

No comments:

Post a Comment