Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Whitney Elizabeth Houston, "I'll Always Love You,"

It's hard to believe that it has been two years since we have lost the greatest singer of my lifetime. Yes, I said of my lifetime. The woman could do with a song, what Michael Jordan could do with a basketball. If you don't believe me, watch her 1991 rendition of "Star Spangled Banner". That song has been done thousands of times, but nobody did it like Ms. Houston.

I remember the first time that I heard her angelic voice. The year was 1985, and I had just received a two cassette player boom box (Anybody under 30 doesn't know about those....ha!). I was listening to 99.1 the Fox, the local radio station, and The Greatest Love of All came on. I didn't know who this woman was, but I knew if she sang the alphabet, I had to hear it, and I had to be present. This started an almost 30 year love affair both with her voice, and her public persona.

She was kind and gracious. She was called a "diva", but if that means because she was at the top of the craft, then a diva she was. What I loved most about Ms. Houston is how gracious she was to her fans, and how she mentored other young ladies in the music industry (Brandy, Monica, just to name a few).

My only regret is that I never got to see her in concert, or to meet her in person, but I have every cd; I have watched every live performance. Not a day goes by that I am not playing a cd, or visiting Youtube to watch a live performance.

She will always be, "The Voice". Her songs got me through some of the most difficult times in my life, and her voice inspired me to be a better singer.

Rest easy Ms. Houston, and I Will Always Love You!

No comments:

Post a Comment