Saturday, January 6, 2018

Knowing Your Worth, and Knowing When to Let Go

Last week, I received a shocking email! One of my employers decided that they wanted to streamline their pay rate for all employees, meaning they wanted all of their employees to make the same rate per hour, so those of us who made above the new streamlined rate, would have our pay reduced. Within the email, they sent us a survey, which contained two boxes, one which stated we would accept the new rate and continue with the company, or decline and make our effective last date 1/31/18. I decided to do the latter! No way I am working for anyone doing the same amount of work for less pay, fuck you very much.

The old Corey would have chosen to stay on and have my pay reduced, out of fear that I would miss the income, or that I wouldn't find something else. Fear is a thief of joy, and productivity, and I no longer choose to live in fear, so I did what I had to do, which was told them to kiss my black ass!

It seems since the economy crashed in 2007-2008, employers are asking more of employees for less money, and due to fear of the bad economy, most employees accept it. How many times has a person left your place of employment, and his or her work duties get spread among the remaining employees rather than hiring another able bodied person for that position? I have seen it, and I'm telling anyone who hires me from this moment on, I keep multiple streams of income, and I don't play that bullshit, and will walk at any time.

I will miss the gig! It paid well (at my old hourly rate), and I could do it from home, but it is the principle of the matter.

So the lesson in this is knowing your worth, and never allowing anyone to shortchange you, be it a job, a lover, a family member, or friend.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment