Friday, July 3, 2015

Bristol Palin: Hypocrite or Decision Maker?

Let me preface what I am about to write with, I despite everything Palin. They are rude, lewd, and crude, so this blog post is not an "I Support the Palins campaign." But I do support a woman's choice to make reproductive decisions without shame and slander.

Bristol Palin has taken heat recently because she made the choice to have her second out of wedlock child. Now she embarked on an abstinence tour, where she was paid 250K per appearance. Let me just say she was wrong for using her bigoted platform to shame other young people into making a decision about their sex lives, while she was have sex herself. Just as she made the choice to make her own reproductive and sexual choices, she should have afforded the same opportunity for decision making to other young people.

But the slander and ridicule that she is receiving for making a decision to have a child, is dead wrong. Christian Conservatives are blasting her, so are other women, in fact they are probably the most vicious.

We are society that likes to see people fall from grace. Hey, I have to admit that I do too when they are especially pompous and self-righteous (ie. Josh Duggar), but what I don't like to see our women being shamed about their sexual and reproductive choices. Are we going to place Bristol's baby daddy under that same microscope of scorn and shame? If not, we need to leave her alone as well.

Is she a hypocrite? Most certainly for shaming other young people to abstain from sex when she wasn't. But her choosing to have a child is not only personal, but should not be the subject of internet fodder.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment