Thursday, August 7, 2014

It's Not Right and It's Not Okay: My Thoughts on the Whitney Houston Biopic

I have a serious case of insomnia, and none of the characters in my four book projects that I am currently working on, wanted to play, so I decided that I would blog.

It's no secret that I am a long time fan of Whitney Houston. I still mourn her, like she is a family member....her music was and will always be the soundtrack of my life. From her breakout hit, The Greatest Love of All, when I was nine years old, which made me believe that I could do anything, to her Bodyguard soundtrack hit, I Will Always Loved You, which was released when I was sixteen, and didn't know nada about love, to her redemption song, I Look to You, Whitney made songs to fit any mood and any occasion for my life.

So naturally I was devastated at her untimely passing. I was apprehensive when I heard about a biopic. How can you capture the force that was Whitney in a two hour made for television movie? But once I heard the accomplished and gifted Angela Bassett was attached to the project, and being a close friend of Whitney's I felt a little more at ease, as I felt she would truly honor her.

But that was not to last. Soon rumors were swirling around that the movie was going to focus on the Bobby Brown years, and anyone who knows anything about Whitney's life with Bobby knows, that is not the way to honor her. Then there were the rumors that the movie was being made without the family's blessing, which is never a good idea when you are producing a biopic. But the final nail in the coffin for me, was when I learned that Deborah Cox would be providing the vocals. What the hell? Don't get me wrong, Deborah Cox is talented, accomplished, beautiful, yada, yada, but she doesn't hold a candle to Whitney's greatness. Yes, I said it! How can you have a biopic of a singer and feature another artist on the vocals?

So now the question comes to mind for me, what is Angela's true intention? Is this an opportunity to honor Whitney, or is this just more post mortem slander?

Only time will tell, but as a long time fan, I will not be among the viewership!


Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment