Thursday, May 29, 2014

Phenomenal Woman She Was And Always Will Be!

Like many of you, I am actually devastated over the  death of the late and the great Dr. Maya Angelou.

My late Grandmother began my love affair with books and the written word at the age of four. It started with the Bible, Herald of His Coming, and Guidepost. It continued in grade school with The Hardy Boys Mysteries and the Henry Huggins stories.

In high school, it was the great classics from The Scarlet Letter, Of Mice and Men, To Kill a Mockingbird.

So up until college, I never had any experience with literature from people of my same skin hue. In my freshman English class, I was assigned to write a research paper on an individual who had impacted society in some way. I had seen Dr. Angelou on television, and had slightly read her poetry in some of my college textbooks, but I decided that I wanted to know more. I scoured the public library and my college library and most of her works were either checked out, or missing.

I had to write this paper! So I went to Borders bookstore, and I bought the four volume set of her autobiography (I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Heart of a Woman, Gather Together in My Name, and Singing and Swinging and Getting Merry Like Christmas). When I tell you that my life was changed, I am completely downplaying the experience. From reading about  being abandoned by her birth mother at age 3, her rape at age 8, her teenage motherhood at age 17, her brief stint as a prostitute and madam, her work as an actress, a director, Calypso dancer, teacher, poet....this woman did it all, experienced it all, and come out better on the other side of it!

I do not think there is anyone, regardless of gender, race, socioeconomic status, who can't relate to this phenomenal woman in some form or another. I am a fan of all of her work, but probably my most favorite piece, is her poem, "Still I Rise."

It is ironic and prophetic that just last week, I picked her autobiographical work, Mom and Me, Me and Mom detailing her very complicated, yet very loving relationship with her mother. I saw it, and I had to have it, and now I am glad that I did.

So rest easy Dr. Angelou, your earthly time has expired, but your words and impact never will. Thank you for your life, your love, your light, and most of all, your inspiration!


Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment